The following questions were the most frequent questions asked by parents
of children with hypospadias who attended the Hypospadias Centre in Frankfurt,
Germany for consultation and surgery. In the Hypospadias Centre, about 45 -50
hypospadias operations are performed every month (more than 500 hypospadias
operation every year). The answers describe Professor
Hadidi´s approach in the management of Hypospadias.
For individual questions and appointments and to
ensure that the examination and the operation is done personally by Prof.
Hadidi please send an email to:
Or call: +49 - 174 - 20 56 905) between
18-20:00 h Monday to Friday (German Local Time).
Fax: 0049 (0) 6182 843 02 93
- Is it possible to diagnose hypospadias during pregnancy and is that
an indication for abortion?
- I have already a child with hypospadias. How high are the chances
that also the second child will be born with hypospadias?
- What is the incidence of hypospadias?
- When should we seek medical advice?
- Which specialist should we contact? A pediatric surgeon, pediatric urologist or plastic
- How can I identify the severity of hypospadias of my child?
- Is an operation necessary?
- Will my son´s penis function "normal"
- Will he function as a "normal" man later on when he grows
- Can the hypospadias operation affect or damage
erection, ejaculation or sexual function?
- Will my son´s penis look "normal"
- Is the size of my son´s
regarding surgery for hypospadias correction:
Professor Hadidi personally operate on public patients as well or only private
- What is the procedure for patients from countries other than Germany,
who would like Professor Hadidi to operate on their son?
- When should the hypospadias-operation be performed?
- Should we do any tests before
- When should we do chromosomal analysis (tests)?
- Should my son receive hormonal treatment before the
vaccination a contra-indication for surgery?
- If my
son develops running nose, diarrhea, cough, fever before surgery, does
this affect the operation?
- How long does my child have to stay in hospital?
- Does my child have to be bed ridden or can he move around after the
- How long should the dressing remain on the wound?
- How long should the catheter remain in penis?
- Will my
son receive medications after surgery?
- How can
I clean my son after surgery? When can he take a shower?
can my son sit in the bath tub or swim or play sport?
can my son go back to kindergarden?
my son use pampers after surgery? Are there
- Are there any precautions when my son travels by car. How about the seat belt?
- Which techniques are preferred for hypospadias-repair?
- I have noticed that the Tubularised Incised Plate
(TIP) technique (sometimes known also as "Snodgrass-Technique") is NOT in the algorithm of operations performed in the
hypospadias center, why?
is the preferred technique for glanular Hypospadias (Grade I)?
is the preferred technique for Perineal Hypospadias (Grade IV)?
- What is
chordee? Are there different types? Does this affect surgery? If the penis is curved, how would it be corrected, is this necessary
- What is "Nesbit-Procedure" and when should it be
happens to the foreskin at the end of the operation?
- Why you
do NOT recommend or do NOT perform the TIP technique although many
surgeons are still doing it?
- After I
leave the hospital, when should I be worried and call the surgeon?
- After I
leave the hospital, When should I go to my routine pediatrician?
- If my
son develops fever after hospital discharge, is this related to the
- What happens with the sutures and threads after surgery? Do they
need to be removed?
- I have
noticed that my son penis became red 3-4 weeks after hospital discharge
and he has some pain when he passess urine is this normal?
- How long does it take for the hypospadias repair to heal and what
are the precautions?
- Will the new urethra grow
normally with the penis as my son grows?
- When should post operative examinations take
place and for how long?
Questions regarding complications of hypospadias surgery:
- What is a fistula, does this require surgical correction?
- My son developed a fistula after surgery. Does this mean that the
operation was not successful? Does my son need to have the whole operation done
again? How can we increase the chances of success after the second
surgery? Can it come back after surgery
- What does a stenosis mean, does this require surgical correction?
regarding correction of the foreskin:
What are the possibilities and how?
- Why should not my son have the forskin reconstructed at the same operation with
the hypospadias correction?
- Why you do not recommend that my son be circumcised during the hypospadias
- What are the precautions after the foreskin
next page ...
1. Mediterranean Congress on Human Sexuality and Reproduction
26.-28. Oct. 2012, Pafos, Cyprus
XIth International Hypospadias Study-Day
Nov. 30th, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey